AR Maintenance Solutions have many years of experience and expertise servicing South Florida. We have the knowledge, the experience, and the certification to guarantee your utmost satisfaction when you hire us. One such exceptional service we offer is Sod Installation, allowing you to transform your yard from bare dirt or dry grass patches to vibrant lush lawn. Below is a quick explanation outlining the process and our approach to installing your sod.
Soil Preparation for Sod
- Clear the site of all rocks, stones or other debris that is larger than 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Lightly tamp or roll the topsoil to settle the surface and create an ideal surface for installing the sod.
Process of Sod Installation Miami
AR Maintenance Solutions has many years experience laying sod in and around South Florida. We approach sod installation in a very meticulous manner. Our professional step-by-step process ensures that you will achieve the best results for your South Florida sod installation:
- The first step to our process is that we use a rototiller or spade around the desired area in order to effectively remove all stones, roots, and construction debris. Doing this ensures that we to obtain a smooth surface as a base for your new sod installation, giving you a lush, healthy lawn. Rake your soil so the level is about 2 1/2 inches below the desired final grade. You can use an herbicide product if desired to prevent weeds approximately 1-2 weeks before your sod installation is scheduled as well as pre-fertilize the area.
- AR Maintenance highly recommends that you install an irrigation system before we come to do the sod installation. Since you need to trench in order to add the sprinkler system to your property, it’s important to dig precisely where you plan to lay pipes to connect to your control valves.
- It is very important to begin with a level finished, smooth soil surface which will act as the base for your lawn prior to the sod installation. The soil should be about a half inch below the fixed edge you are installing around.
- The fun part is that sod Installation is like installing a hardwood floor. It is quick, effective and delivers spectacular results. Using clippers, scissors, or simply a knife cut your edges you then begin laying the sod parallel to the longest fixed edge. You simply put the pieces together tightly and voi la! You now have exquisite newly sodded lawn the neighbors will be envying.
- The sod we use at AR Maintenance is just a heavy drum that is filled with water and can be pushed, using a handle, across the lawn to help the sod make good contact with the soil and produce an even surface.
- After this new sod installation, it is necessary to water the new sod for at least 20 minutes three times per day for the first two weeks to help your sod get established. You wouldn't want the investment in your new turf grass to be a waste if not cared for properly. AR Maintenance recommends that the newly laid sod we install for you receive tons of water while it is "rooting" to your lawn.
Results of Sod Installation
- Keep your new sod moist and allow the roots to firmly grow into the underlying soil for at least 10 days. We recommend you double the watering to at least twice. Walk on your new lawn as little as possible for the first few weeks. It is recommended that you prohibit children and pets (especially large dogs) from going on the lawn so that the turf stays even and level and the sod installation "roots" properly.
- After those few weeks of staying off your new sod, you can proceed to mow your new lawn safely. When mowing your freshly-installed sod, make sure the mower height is adjusted properly to the highest setting to ensure that you do not take off more than a third of the grass blade. It is important that you do NOT use a lawn rake, which will pull up the loosely held, newly-installed sod. A grass catcher is important to use in order to keep the clippings off your new sod and allow it to breathe and grow properly.